Indian consumers are greenest in world
New Delhi: Indian consumers are the most eco-friendly, concludes a 17-country survey.
The 17-country survey looked at consumer behaviours that have an impact on the environment, including their transportation patterns, household energy and resource use and consumption of food and everyday consumer goods, as well as what consumers were doing to minimise that impact.
The research released on Thursday shows that Indians have shown increasing environmentally friendly behaviour over the past two years.
In the overall green index, India scored 62.6 points to hold the top spot. Brazil secured the second rank (58), while China (57.3) was third. The US came last with a score of 45.
Despite Indian consumers` lifestyles continuing to emerge as the most environmentally sustainable of any of the countries surveyed according to the Greendex, Indians are also the most likely to cite the perception that the seriousness of environmental problems is exaggerated as a barrier to action.
Released on the eve of United Nations World Environment Day, `Greendex 2010: Consumer Choice and the Environment-A Worldwide Tracking Survey` is a comprehensive measure of consumer behaviour in 65 areas relating to housing, transportation, food and consumer goods. Greendex 2010 ranks average consumers in 17 countries according to the environmental impact of their consumption patterns and is the only survey of its kind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says