Indian student chased twice before being killed in Oz
Melbourne: Indian student Nitin Garg, who was brutally stabbed to death here in January, had been threatened and chased on at least two other occasions before his death, a court was informed.
Twentyone-year-old Garg was viciously stabbed when he was going to work at Hungry Jack`s restaurant in Yarraville in January. He died later in hospital. Garg was assaulted in nearby Cruikshank Park before he staggered to the restaurant, police say.
Melbourne is Australia`s second most populous city and capital of Victoria state.
The Age reported that a teenager appeared in a Melbourne children`s court Thursday morning and was charged with one count of murder.
The defence lawyer for the 16-year-old told the court that the charges will be contested at a hearing early next year.
The court was told by the prosecutor that one of Garg`s workmates told police about an incident early last year in which a stranger threatened and pursued him.
The stranger had even gone to the restaurant in April or May to look for Garg.
The magistrate adjourned the case until next week.
There have been a string of attacks on Indians here as well as in Sydney, Australia`s most populous city. Garg`s killing caused an outrage in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Yuvraj Singh trolls R Ashwin for photobombing his picture with Virat Kohli – See pic!