Indian student chased twice before being killed in Oz
Melbourne: Indian student Nitin Garg, who was brutally stabbed to death here in January, had been threatened and chased on at least two other occasions before his death, a court was informed.
Twentyone-year-old Garg was viciously stabbed when he was going to work at Hungry Jack`s restaurant in Yarraville in January. He died later in hospital. Garg was assaulted in nearby Cruikshank Park before he staggered to the restaurant, police say.
Melbourne is Australia`s second most populous city and capital of Victoria state.
The Age reported that a teenager appeared in a Melbourne children`s court Thursday morning and was charged with one count of murder.
The defence lawyer for the 16-year-old told the court that the charges will be contested at a hearing early next year.
The court was told by the prosecutor that one of Garg`s workmates told police about an incident early last year in which a stranger threatened and pursued him.
The stranger had even gone to the restaurant in April or May to look for Garg.
The magistrate adjourned the case until next week.
There have been a string of attacks on Indians here as well as in Sydney, Australia`s most populous city. Garg`s killing caused an outrage in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook