Indians abducted by ISIS in Iraq are unharmed: Govt
New Delhi: The Indians, including 39 construction workers abducted by Islamic State militants over two months ago in conflict-hit Mosul town of Iraq, are "unharmed", External Affairs Ministry said on Thursday.
"We have information from those who are in touch with the abducted Indians that they remain in custody and unharmed as of Tuesday evening despite turmoil," the External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson said.
The Indian nationals, who were working for a Turkish construction company in Mosul, were abducted in mid-June when the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, ISIS - jihadist group, captured many towns and villages in Iraq.
Yesterday, the Spokesperson had said the government was monitoring the "evolution" in political and security situation in war-torn Iraq.
"In Iraq, what is currently underway is that we need to monitor the multiple directions in which there is evolution in Iraq, in the political situation, in the security situation. At this stage, we are in a mode of monitoring it and assessing what its impact will be for us, our interest as well as Indian nationals there," the Spokesperson said.
Last month, 46 Indian nurses, who were stranded in Tikrit, were set free by ISIS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested