Indicted by Lokayukta, UP minister resigns
Lucknow: A day after Uttar Pradesh Lokayukta
recommended his removal and sought lodging of corruption case
against him, state Animal Husbandry minister Awadhpal Singh
Yadav on Wednesday resigned on "moral grounds so that an independent
inquiry is done".
"I have decided to quit on moral grounds. I have resigned
so that an independent inquiry is done and real facts come
before the people," he told reporters here.
"I saw news items regarding the Lokayukta`s report this
morning after which I met Chief Minister Mayawati, narrated my
side of story and told that I am innocent after which I handed
over my resignation to her," Yadav said.
Accusing SP leaders of hatching conspiracy against him,
the four-time MLA and two-time minister said he would take the
issue before the competent forum.
"Once I study the report completely, I would raise the
issue before the competent authority including the Governor,
High Court and the Supreme Court," he said.
The minister, however, refused to comment on the findings
of the inquiry report and said there were certain restrictions
under the Lokayukta Act.
"I will not comment on the report as according to the Act
unless the facts presented in the report are kept before the
right forum, public statements are not given," he said,
adding, "Unfortunately, this was no followed in my case."
A complaint moved by Subodh Yadav, son of former SP MLA
Rameshwar Yadav and zila panchayat chairman Joginder Singh had
accused Yadav of being involved in financial irregularities
during his tenure as minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’