Indira Gandhi 9th most powerful women of century
Washington: Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Albanian nun Mother Teresa, who made India her home, are among Time magazine`s "25 Most Powerful Women of the Past Century."
The US news magazine`s survey of "the women who have most influenced our world" is topped by Jane Addams, an outspoken advocate for women`s suffrage, who was the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize and includes US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the sixth place.
Indira Gandhi ranked ninth, figured on TIME cover when she was elected Prime Minister in 1966 with a line reading, "Troubled India in a Woman`s Hands."
"Those steady hands went on to steer India, not without controversy, for much of the next two decades through
recession, famine, the detonation of the nation`s first atomic bomb, a corruption scandal and a civil war in neighbouring Pakistan that, under her guidance, led to the creation of a new state, Bangladesh," the magazine said.
"By the time she was assassinated, in 1984, Gandhi was the world`s longest-serving female prime minister, a distinction she holds to this day."
Of Mother Teresa, ranked 22nd, Time said: "Her iconic white garb with its blue stripe trim is now equated with her ideals of service and charity among `the poorest of the poor.`"
"Sometimes criticised for lacking adequate medical training, not addressing poverty on a grander scale, actively opposing birth control and abortion and even cosying up to dictators, the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize nonetheless inspired countless volunteers to serve, and will wear her white habit all the way to Catholic sainthood," it said.
1. Jane Addams (1860-1935)
2. Corazon Aquino (1933-2009)
3. Rachel Carson (1907-1964)
4.. Coco Chanel (1883-1971)
5. Julia Child (1912-2004)
6. Hillary Clinton (1947-Present)
7. Marie Curie (1867-1934)
8. Aretha Franklin (1942-Present)
9. Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)
10. Estee Lauder (1908-2004)
11. Madonna (1958-Present)
12. Margaret Mead (1901-1978)
13. Golda Meir (1898-1978)
14. Angela Merkel (1954-Present)
15. Sandra Day O`Connor (1930-Present)
16. Rosa Parks (1913-2005)
17. Jiang Qing (1914-1991)
18. Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)
19. Margaret Sanger (1879-1966)
20. Gloria Steinem (1934-Present)
21. Martha Stewart (1941-Present)
22. Mother Teresa (1910-1997)
23. Margaret Thatcher (1925-Present)
24. Oprah Winfrey (1954-Present)
25. Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo