Indo-Pak legislators favour new transit routes
New Delhi: Terming people to people contacts between India and Pakistan as the single-most important confidence building measure(CBM), parliamentarians from the two countries on Friday favoured opening of new transit routes across the Line of Control (LoC) and additional flights.
A joint statement issued at the end of the second round of India-Pakistan Parliamentarians Dialogue here, listed issues which can be solved at the level of Parliaments of both the nations.
"People to people contacts were recognised as the single most important CBM. Recommendations were made to implement the agreement for opening new transit routes across LoC in Kashmir and Khokhrapar-Munabao, along with commencing additional flights," the statement said.
The two-day long conference which began yesterday, was jointly chaired by Member of Parliament Yashwant Sinha and Pakistani Senator Jan Muhammad Khan Jamali. The first round of the discussions were held in January this year in Islamabad.
"This was informal getting together of the MPs. On both sides, Parliaments have now decided to have MPs constitute a friendship group. In future I am hoping that group in both the Parliaments will be able to carry forward the work that we have done," Yashwant Sinha said.
On whether issues like terrorism and Kashmir were discussed, Sinha said, "They were raised, but the most important thing that everyone felt was the need to try and garner those things which are achievable and doable."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- WATCH: TERRIFYING! Ten times Brock Lesnar showed no mercy to his WWE opponents
- Why locals in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir are protesting against Nawaz Sharif's PML(N), ISI – Watch video
- Akshay Kumar to start Divya Khosla's next in September
- Woman killed for dowry in Etah; husband, five others booked
- Three charred to death as bus catches fire in Karnataka