Indo-Pak legislators favour new transit routes
New Delhi: Terming people to people contacts between India and Pakistan as the single-most important confidence building measure(CBM), parliamentarians from the two countries on Friday favoured opening of new transit routes across the Line of Control (LoC) and additional flights.
A joint statement issued at the end of the second round of India-Pakistan Parliamentarians Dialogue here, listed issues which can be solved at the level of Parliaments of both the nations.
"People to people contacts were recognised as the single most important CBM. Recommendations were made to implement the agreement for opening new transit routes across LoC in Kashmir and Khokhrapar-Munabao, along with commencing additional flights," the statement said.
The two-day long conference which began yesterday, was jointly chaired by Member of Parliament Yashwant Sinha and Pakistani Senator Jan Muhammad Khan Jamali. The first round of the discussions were held in January this year in Islamabad.
"This was informal getting together of the MPs. On both sides, Parliaments have now decided to have MPs constitute a friendship group. In future I am hoping that group in both the Parliaments will be able to carry forward the work that we have done," Yashwant Sinha said.
On whether issues like terrorism and Kashmir were discussed, Sinha said, "They were raised, but the most important thing that everyone felt was the need to try and garner those things which are achievable and doable."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India