IT dept seized unaccounted assets worth Rs 290 cr in Apr-Sept
New Delhi: The Income Tax Department seized unaccounted assets worth Rs 290.29 crore in the first half of the current financial year, Parliament was informed on Friday.
"The Income Tax Department seized Rs 905.6 crore of unaccounted assets during the FY 2011-12 and Rs 290.29 crore during the current FY up to September 30, 2012," Minister of State for Finance SS Palanimanickam said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
On government efforts to check blackmoney, he said the department takes several punitive and deterrent steps, including scrutiny of tax returns and imposition of penalty, to unearth any unaccounted money and curb tax evasion.
Information technology is also used in a systematic way for collection and collation of information to take action against tax evaders, he added.
"The increase in direct tax collection of over six times in the last ten years, from Rs 69,198 crore in FY 2001-02 to Rs 4,46,070 crore in FY 2010-11 and growth of nearly two times in the Direct Tax to GDP ratio in the same period ...Gives an indication of better enforcement measures and improved tax compliance," Palanimanickam said.
The Direct Tax to GDP ratio was 3.03 per cent in 2001-02 and 5.66 per cent in 2010-11.
The minister further said that inter-departmental consultations are on to examine the need to open new income tax offices in other countries to put a check on black money.
Income-tax Overseas Units (ITOUs) have been established in Mauritius and Singapore.
The minister further said that orders for posting of officers to newly created ITOUs in Indian missions at Cyprus, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, UAE, UK and USA have been issued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM