IT dept seized unaccounted assets worth Rs 290 cr in Apr-Sept
New Delhi: The Income Tax Department seized unaccounted assets worth Rs 290.29 crore in the first half of the current financial year, Parliament was informed on Friday.
"The Income Tax Department seized Rs 905.6 crore of unaccounted assets during the FY 2011-12 and Rs 290.29 crore during the current FY up to September 30, 2012," Minister of State for Finance SS Palanimanickam said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha.
On government efforts to check blackmoney, he said the department takes several punitive and deterrent steps, including scrutiny of tax returns and imposition of penalty, to unearth any unaccounted money and curb tax evasion.
Information technology is also used in a systematic way for collection and collation of information to take action against tax evaders, he added.
"The increase in direct tax collection of over six times in the last ten years, from Rs 69,198 crore in FY 2001-02 to Rs 4,46,070 crore in FY 2010-11 and growth of nearly two times in the Direct Tax to GDP ratio in the same period ...Gives an indication of better enforcement measures and improved tax compliance," Palanimanickam said.
The Direct Tax to GDP ratio was 3.03 per cent in 2001-02 and 5.66 per cent in 2010-11.
The minister further said that inter-departmental consultations are on to examine the need to open new income tax offices in other countries to put a check on black money.
Income-tax Overseas Units (ITOUs) have been established in Mauritius and Singapore.
The minister further said that orders for posting of officers to newly created ITOUs in Indian missions at Cyprus, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, UAE, UK and USA have been issued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence