IT officer Verma got part of bribe when out on bail
New Delhi: Indian Revenue Service Officer Ashutosh Verma, who was arrested in 2008 by CBI for allegedly taking bribe from arms dealer Suresh Nanda, had secured a major portion of remaining bribe after his release on bail in the case, the investigative agency sources said.
Verma, the then Deputy Director of Income Tax Department, who had earlier received Rs 4.4 crore of the promised Rs 30 crore bribe from Suresh Nanda for diluting Income Tax cases against him, allegedly received the remaining amount after he was released on bail in April 2008, CBI sources said.
The agency is believed to have unearthed the money trail of the part payment of Rs 4.4 crore which is alleged to have been invested in a resort in Goa by Verma through a benami transaction in the name of M/s Parivati company, they said.
The sources claimed that the land deal took place when the appraisal report of the Nanda was under preparation.
They said Verma allegedly tried to take over land through another company M/s Whitening Expressions.
They said CBI received from a "source" a CD of tapped conversation between Nanda and Verma discussing alleged criminal conspiracy to dilute Income Tax appraisal report against Nanda who was accused in the Naval War Room Leak case as well and payment of illegal gratification.
They claimed the CD along with intercepted telephone calls and statements of the witnesses under sections 161 and 164 of the CrPC helped them crack the entire criminal conspiracy and the way the bribe amount was invested by Verma in the name of his relatives.
Verma, a 1999-batch Indian Revenue Service officer, was arrested in March 2008 from JW Marriot Hotel in Mumbai, along with arms dealer Suresh Nanda, his son Sanjeev Nanda, key accused in the BMW hit-and-run case, and their chartered accountant Bipin Shah.
They were arrested while they were discussing alleged dilution of I-T appraisal report of Nanda to evade tax liabilities, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow