‘It’s all about money for power & power for money`
Ralegan Siddhi: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare said on Monday that his agitation is not against any party or person but against all-pervasive corruption in the country.
“It (his agitation) is not against any party or person. Today common man is finding it difficult to live. I have been fighting against corruption for 25 years but the government is still not serious about eliminating it,” he told reporters before proceeding to Mumbai to begin a three-day fast at the MMRDA Ground in Bandra-Kurla complex.
“No strong rule has been brought to curb corruption. I had to fight for 10 years to get the RTI Act. Jan Lokpal Bill has been brought to the Parliament eight times but was never passed. The government is not serious about corruption,” Anna said while adding, “Now it is all about money for power and power for money…Government has gone blind about the difficulties of the common man.”
Playing down his role in the anti-corruption movement, Anna said, “Crores of people have come to the street (to protest against corruption), it is not for Anna. It is because they are finding it difficult to live due to corruption, that’s why they are on the streets.”
“It has been 10 months but the government has been flip-flopping on the issue. They went back (on their promise) on joint committee decisions, then they went back in the standing committee. The Prime Minister gave me written assurance that the bill will be passed in Parliament; is it not contempt of Parliament?” he pointed out.
Anna will sit on fast on December 27, 28, 29; then go to Delhi on 30th to sit on a dharna outside Sonia Gandhi’s home.
Tomorrow morning he will first offer floral tribute to Mahatma Gandhi at his memorial in Juhu and then lead a rally to the MMRDA Ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof