It`s like Tughlaq rule: Sharad Yadav on petrol issue
New Delhi: Opposing any move to shut petrol pumps during night, JD(U) on Monday hit out at the UPA government, saying its reign is akin to that of medieval Indian ruler Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq, known for his impractical schemes.
"It is like Tughlak`s rule. We had heard about Tughlaq`s style of functioning. Now we are witnessing the same," JD(U) president Sharad Yadav said outside Parliament while reacting to suggestions on closing down petrol pumps during night to save fuel and foreign exchange.
"Instead of withdrawing subsidies on diesel vehicles, gensets at hotels and palaces, you are trying close down petrol pumps," Yadav said.
Asked what his party plans to do if the government implements the proposal, he said, "People will decide. In the democracy, voters have power to punish."
Yadav also condemned the disruption of the Lok Sabha and the high-pitch verbal duel between MPs after the suspension of nine members from the House.
"Whatever has happened in the House today is condemnable. We strongly condemn it," the JD(U) leader said.
He, however, said, "They should have been expelled on Friday itself so that today the House could have been saved from disruption."
On Asaram Bapu issue, he said "I wanted Asaram to surrender to the law. It has happened."
He also appreciated media`s role for taking up the Asaram issue.
"Media raised the issue and in the process mediamen were attacked by Asaram supporters repeatedly. But despite that media continued to raise the issue. Media`s role is commendable and I welcome it," Yadav said.
The Oil Ministry today said there is no proposal under consideration of the government to allow sale of petroleum products from the retail outlets only during certain hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India