Jailed former CWG OC DG to be released on parole
New Delhi: Jailed Commonwealth Games OC
former Director General VK Verma was on Thursday granted custodial
parole to attend the last rites of his mother-in-law in
"The CBI has opposed the plea but in the facts and
circumstances, I allow Verma to attend the `Chautha` ceremony
of his mother-in-law at Chennai on July 24 in custody,"
Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh said.
Verma -- accused of corruption, cheating, forgery and
criminal conspiracy in the TSR scam -- was allowed round trip
to Chennai on July 24 from 4:00 am to 11:00 pm.
"His flight is slated to leave from IGI airport at 6:30
am. He be taken to the airport at 4 am and should be brought
back to the Tihar Jail by 11 pm the same day...Jail
superintendent is directed to give names of the security staff
accompanying him and to coordinate with the security at the
IGI airport and at the Chennai airport so that no
inconvenience is caused," the court said.
The judge also allowed Verma to have a 10-minute
telephonic conversation with his wife, who is already in
Chennai, to coordinate for the ceremony.
In view of submission made by Verma`s counsel, the court
directed him to make necessary arrangements for himself and
the security personnel accompanying him to Chennai and back.
Verma was directed to submit all travel details to the
jail superintendent in advance while his counsel also informed
the court that he would apply for another custodial parole for
the `tervi` ceremony as and when the date, time and the venue
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed