Jaitley draws flak from opposition leaders for rising inflation
New Delhi: Opposition leaders on Tuesday attacked Finance Minister Arun Jaitley for saying that hoarding and poor rainfall were responsible for rising inflation.
Amidst the increasing prices of fuel and vegetables, Jaitley had made a statement in which he blamed hoarding and lack of rainfall for affecting the growth and therefore resulting in price rise.
Reproaching Jaitley, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, "When we used to say the same thing they never listened to us and now they are also saying that only due to rising inflation. They came into power with a promise that they will reduce inflation. We knew that the biggest reason behind inflation is that people store goods and do their black marketing.Jaitley is speaking the same language today but now the country needs results. Inflation should go down and whatever has been promised to people should be fulfilled."
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) General Secretary, Tariq Anwar too accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of making false promises to the people just for the sake of winning elections.
"Modi said during the elections that they will do miracles to bring down price rise immediately when he comes to power. While we were in power even the economists had understood that it is not possible for anyone to reduce price rise all of a sudden, but just to win election they made false promises. Now that they have come to power they are realizing the ground reality and making excuses that the economic indiscipline under Congress regime is resulting in price rise," said Anwar.
Meanwhile, a former member of parliament from Congress, P.C. Chacko asked why inflation has increased since BJP has come to power.
"Hoarding is a major problem it affected our government also in the past. It is the responsibility of the state government to do the de-hoarding operation and they should be vigilant then only we can control the prices. Producing more alone will not control the prices. The government should explain why inflation has gone up in one month since they have come into power, just blaming will not help." said Chacko.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj