J&K BJP leader taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: With BJP sticking to its plan to hoist the national flag at Lal Chowk here on the Republic Day, the Vice President of the party`s Jammu and Kashmir unit Sofi Yusuf was taken into preventive custody by the police late on Saturday night.
Yusuf was picked up from his house at around 2230 hours on the ground of apprehension of breach of peace, said the police said.
Earlier in the day, six BJP activists were arrested for violating the prohibitory orders in force in Srinagar city when they were pasting posters on the city walls for publicizing the culmination of the party’s Rahstriya Ekta Yatra at Lal Chowk on January 26.
The state government has already decided that it will not allow BJP to hoist the national flag in Srinagar as it could lead to law and order problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'