Jaswant gets more flak for praising Jinnah, BJP dissociates
Mumbai: Flaying BJP leaders for heaping
praise on Mohammad Ali Jinnah, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray
on Tuesday said calling the Pakistan founder secular was an insult
to all those who shed their blood for India`s independence.
"(L K) Advani created an ideological confusion by
lauding Jinnah. Jaswant Singh has added to it," Thackeray said
in an editorial in Sena mouthpiece `Saamana.`
The BJP`s unambiguous response to the controversial book
came from party president Rajnath Singh who said the "painful"
part of history where Jinnah played an "important role" in the
division of India cannot be wished away.
"Views expressed by Jaswant Singh in his book `Jinnah
-- India, Partition, Independence` does not represent views of
the party. In fact, the party completely dissociates itself
from the contents of the book," Singh told reporters here.
In his book, Jaswant has held Jawaharlal Nehru
responsible for the partition of India and that Jinnah has
been "demonised" in India.
Another party veteran Murli Manohar Joshi said Jaswant`s
portrayal of Jinnah was based on all "wrong facts." He also
said "Mr Jinnah might be an idol, an icon for the Pakistanis,
but he can never be an ideal or an icon for us Indians."
Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray led the party`s offensive
against Jaswant when he flayed BJP leaders for heaping praise
on Jinnah. "Calling the Pakistan founder secular was an insult
to all those who shed their blood for India`s independence."
"(LK) Advani created an ideological confusion by lauding
Jinnah. Jaswant Singh has added to it," Thackeray said in an
editorial in Sena mouthpiece `Saamana.`
RSS spokesman Ram Madhav said his outfit "totally
disagreed" with Jaswant`s formulation on Jinnah and there is
no way the country can "absolve" the Pakistani founder of his
role in partition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’