Javed Akhtar gets death threats for fatwa remarks
Mumbai: Noted lyricist Javed Akhtar received a spate of death mails, following his strong views against the Deoband seminary in UP, which recently came out with a fatwa against working women.
The All-India Milli Council (AIMC), All-India Sunni Jamaitul Ulema and Raza Academy said that women should dress according to the Islamic laws. Talking to a news daily, Moonisa Bushra Abedi, an AMIC member, said, “Purdah is an integral part of Islam. Women should dress modestly and cover themselves if they have to work. It is unlawful if they work and talk to men who are strangers without wearing a veil.”
Talking about working women, Abedi continued, “Their earnings are not ‘haram’ but if they do not follow principles while working, then it is.”
However, Javed Akhtar strongly condemned such uncalled remarks, following which the scriptwriter was told to apologise or face strict action. “Both he and his wife do not follow Muslim law or consider themselves Muslims, why should they talk on Islam,” said Abdul Qayyum Shaikh of the All- India Milli Council, which further added that Muslims working in films are ‘haram.’
Earlier, on a news channel, Javed Akhtar had called muftis "insane”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?