Jaya Jaitley allowed to permanently retain passport
New Delhi: Former Samata Party President Jaya Jaitley, facing trial for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs two lakh in 2000 to recommend a fictitious defence deal to Defence Ministry, was today allowed by a Delhi court to permanently retain her passport to undertake her frequent travels abroad.
"I am of the opinion that no prejudice is going to be caused to the case, if the passport taken into possession by the CBI is released to be kept with the accused (Jaitley)," Special CBI Judge Kanwaljeet Arora said.
The court also allowed Jaitley to travel to Kathmandu in Nepal to attend the fourth annual conference of `South Asia Women`s Network` scheduled to be held from July 17 to 19.
Jaitley`s counsel submitted to the court that she is a social activist and had been granted permission to travel abroad on earlier occasions and that she never misused the court`s permission.
The CBI, however, had objected to her plea for release of the passport and for reemission to go abroad saying she may flee from justice which would jeopardise the trial.
"Balancing the twin interests of justice to be done at the earliest on the one hand and the right to carry on her avocation and to facilitate her to participate in the discussion on the other hand, the present application filed by accused Jayakrishna Jaitley is allowed," the court said, while also directing Jaitley not to leave the country without its permission.
Imposing certain conditions on Jaitley before undertaking the travel, the court asked her to furnish her address of stay in Nepal and the itinerary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi