JD (U) chief skips Pranab`s swearing-in ceremony
New Delhi: JD (U) chief Sharad Yadav, whose party had supported the candidature of Pranab Mukherjee, Wednesday skipped the swearing-in ceremony of the new President, saying his presence there would "not have made a difference".
Asked about his absence from the oath-taking ceremony in Parliament House, Yadav said, "I have never attended any oath-taking ceremony. I think my presence there does not make any difference...
"I don`t go to these ceremonies as I have more important work to do. There is no dearth of people who go there and my presence does not make any difference."
Yadav had also not attended the dinner hosted by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi to thank political leaders who had supported the nomination of Mukherjee.
He was also not present when Mukherjee filed his nomination for Presidential election on June 28.
Yadav said that though he has never attended these "ceremonial functions", he has never missed the joint address by the President to both Houses of Parliament.
"I have never missed the joint address of the President to Parliament and have been attended Parliament sessions from day one. I am duty-bound to attend them as discussions on several national issues are raised and I have to be there as people`s representative," he told reporters.
After his victory in the Presidential race, Mukherjee had called up Yadav to thank him for his party`s support.
Maintaining that his priority was towards people who come to meet him from far-away places, Yadav said, "My first duty is to attend to the people who come from faraway places to meet me.
Most of them come by trains with plans to return the same day and I am duty bound to meet them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof