Jethmalani questions Rajiv`s stand on Prabhakaran
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jetmalani Monday questioned the stand of the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi government`s stand on slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran in 1980s.
Jethmalani said he was yet to understand the "behaviour" of Gandhi who had invited Prabhakaran as a government guest in Delhi and the Indian Army was sent to the island nation thereafter to shoot persons fighting for the Tamil cause.
"That is the deception that took place, that after having invited him (Prabhakaran) and providing him monetary assistance, we sent the Indian army to shoot down the very persons whom we had invited as friends and promised all assistance," he said at a function here attended by MDMK leader Vaiko.
Vaiko demanded constitution of a commission of inquiry probing the role of Indian Army in providing military and logistical support to Sri Lanka and the role of Congress party on Sri Lankan issue.
Vaiko, who had held demonstrations against the recent visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa to India, said he would hold much bigger and "peaceful" protest in front of the Prime Minister`s residence if President Rajapaksa again visits the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed