Joint Defence Declaration brings India at par with closet US allies
Washington: Taking their defence ties to a new level, India and the US have decided to undertake joint development and production of military hardware, involving transfer of high-end technology from America, a move aimed at matching Russia`s co-operation with India in this field.
After the summit meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and US President Barack Obama at the Oval Office the two sides yesterday issued a joint declaration on defence co-operation spelling out the principles of cooperation in this area.
In the declaration, the US expressed its support to India`s full membership in the four international export control regimes that would further facilitate technology sharing.
According to the joint declaration on defence co-operation, the US and India share common security interests and place each other at the same level as their closest partners.
"This principle will apply with respect to defence technology transfer, trade, research, co-development and co-production for defence articles and services, including the most advanced and sophisticated technology," the declaration said.
"They will work to improve licensing processes, and, where applicable, follow expedited license approval processes to facilitate this cooperation," the declaration said, adding that the US and India are also committed to protecting each other`s sensitive technology and information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional