`Judiciary should examine trends in democracy`
Kottayam: The members of Indian judiciary have a "great role" to play in the society by
closely examining the developments in the democratic process, Kerala High Court Chief Justice Justi Chelameswar has said.
"The judiciary has been passing through an evolutionary process and this was closely linked to the changing social realities," he said yesterday while delivering the valedictory
speech of the year-long Justice KK Mathew Commemorative lecture series, organised by Kottayam Bar Association as part of the centenary of the District and Sessions Court here.
The introduction of a new generation of judges into judiciary had opened new vistas, he said. During 1980`s, when executive became increasingly weaker, judiciary had taken a
more active role and engaged in a close monitoring of the members of the executive, he said.
On the other hand, the democratic process had been passing through its evolutionary course and those who were reluctant to listen to the judiciary were now willing to discuss issues when pressed by one individual or a few who could gather popular support, he said.
Late Justice KK Mathew, a former member of Kottayam Bar Association and former judge of Supreme Court, was not affected by any external forces during his career, he said.
The dissenting judgements by Justice Mathew showed his liberality of the constitutional thought process, he said.
Dissenting judgements indicated not only independence of the judge but also of the legal process and institution, and today dissenting notes were becoming fewer, he added.
The Chief Justice also unveiled a portrait of Justice Mathew.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed