‘Judiciary’s credibility depends on quality of judges`
Chennai: Against the backdrop of the current debate over the proposed Judicial Accountability Bill, President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday said the credibility of the judiciary will depend on the quality of the judges who man various courts in the country.
The President also said judging the judges was a delicate and sensitive topic and one which has been viewed with some concern by jurists.
"Legislation which carefully balances the independence of the judiciary with the need to protect and preserve its credibility is a useful complement to the judiciary’s own efforts.
"Ultimately, the credibility of the judiciary will depend on the quality of the judges who man the various Courts of the country. Therefore, the process of selection and appointment of judges should conform to the highest of standards and should be based on well established principles," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred