Justice Sachar demands right to recall, reject
Kolkata: Justice (Retd) Rajinder Sachar
on Sunday echoed anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare in demanding
electoral reforms to incorporate a right to recall elected
representatives and reject poll candidates.
"We need electoral reforms empowering people with the
right to reject a candidate or recall an elected
representative to save the country from being led by corrupt
leaders," Sachar said.
Reminded that Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Quraishi had ruled out the right to recall on the ground that
it was not feasible for a country like India, Sachar said, "It
is very much possible to have `Reject` in the EVM or a Ballot
paper for the voters who will not like to vote for any
candidate in the list.
Sachar, who prepared the report on the status of
Indian Muslims, spoke on behalf of the `Socialist Party
(India)` on the occasion of its first state conference.
Though not holding any post in the party, he was
described by party leaders as one of their chief patrons.
Sachar said the Socialist Party (India) would
contest at least 50 seats in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly
He claimed the party would not field any capitalist,
muscleman or a candidate with criminal antecedent as
He also opposed Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati`s idea of dividing the state into four parts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured