Justice Sachar demands right to recall, reject
Kolkata: Justice (Retd) Rajinder Sachar
on Sunday echoed anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare in demanding
electoral reforms to incorporate a right to recall elected
representatives and reject poll candidates.
"We need electoral reforms empowering people with the
right to reject a candidate or recall an elected
representative to save the country from being led by corrupt
leaders," Sachar said.
Reminded that Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Quraishi had ruled out the right to recall on the ground that
it was not feasible for a country like India, Sachar said, "It
is very much possible to have `Reject` in the EVM or a Ballot
paper for the voters who will not like to vote for any
candidate in the list.
Sachar, who prepared the report on the status of
Indian Muslims, spoke on behalf of the `Socialist Party
(India)` on the occasion of its first state conference.
Though not holding any post in the party, he was
described by party leaders as one of their chief patrons.
Sachar said the Socialist Party (India) would
contest at least 50 seats in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly
He claimed the party would not field any capitalist,
muscleman or a candidate with criminal antecedent as
He also opposed Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati`s idea of dividing the state into four parts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries
- Did Indian Air Force's AN-32 plane vanish due to catastrophic accident?
- Doomed EgyptAir flight broke up midair after fire: Report
- Pokemon Go daily used twice as much as Facebook
- Virat Kohli: Five incredible records set by India captain during 200-run knock