Karmapa thanks Centre for approving Varanasi visit
Shimla/Dharamsala: Tibetan spiritual leader Karmapa Ugyen Trinely Dorji has thanked the Central government for approving his trip to Varanasi and Sarnath for
his `winter retreat` and annual `spring teachings`.
"We are deeply grateful to the Indian government for its confidence in the Karmapa, and thank them for approving his travel plans to Varanasi for `winter retreat` and `spring teachings` of 2011," spokespersons of the Karmapa`s office
Karma Topden and Deki Chungyalpa said in a statement.
The Tibetan spiritual leader, who is recently in news relating to a huge foreign currency haul from his monastery, said Varanasi is the site of the very first Dharma teachings by Gautam Buddha, and also an ancient cradle of Sanskrit
culture and learning.
"Varanasi is a sacred place for Buddhists. And as a follower of Buddha’s teachings and being of the Kagyu lineage that springs directly from the sacred land of India, I feel such opportunities to visit these sites give great meaning to my life. I am very much looking forward to sharing the dharma teachings with my friends there," Karmapa, who will be visiting Varanasi via Bodh Gaya in early March, said.
During his stay in Varanasi, he is scheduled to deliver a string of discourses on dharma teachings. He would also participate in numerous religious ceremonies during his stay there. The annual `spring teachings` lectures would be
held at Vajra Vidya Institute in Sarnath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day