Kasab breaks down on hearing verdict
Mumbai: Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab broke down Thursday in the court room after he was sentenced to death for the Mumbai terror attack. But the public prosecutor called it "crocodile tears".
The 23-year-old from Pakistan`s Punjab province was seen crying as he was led back to the court room after stepping out briefly with the judge`s consent to drink water.
Walking slowly, he wiped his tears before returning to the dock where he sat down, his head bowed.
Kasab, the only one of 10 Pakistani terrorists taken alive after the November 2008 slaughter in Mumbai, looked downcast during his stay in the court at the Arthur Road prison.
At times, he sat with his right hand covering his mouth.
At one point, special judge ML Tahaliyani asked the defence lawyer if Kasab wanted to say something.
When the question was posed to him, Kasab just shook his head. He looked irritated and again sat down.
The judge then spoke directly to the prisoner in Hindi: "Do you want to say something?"
Kasab looked at the judge blankly, shook his head and sat down.
Speaking later, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said: "Those were crocodile tears." Nikam went on to recite a Sanskrit verse to mean that no matter how much milk is given to a snake, it will always spew venom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'