Kasab gets copy of SC`s death sentence verdict
Mumbai: Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, lodged in a high security jail here, has been given certified copy of the last month`s Supreme Court verdict confirming death sentence on him, while he remained silent on filing a mercy petition.
"Kasab was given certified copy of his death sentence confirmation verdict three days ago on which he had signed. One copy was given to him and the other was sent to the Supreme Court," an official of Arthur Road Jail said on Tuesday.
Asked if the Pakistani gunman had been explained about options before him, including moving a mercy plea, the official replied, "Kasab was told about all procedures and rights he has as a convict, including moving a mercy petition before the President, but he did not react."
When the terrorist, lodged in bomb-proof "anda cell" (egg shaped cell), was first informed about the apex court upholding his death penalty, Kasab did not appear shocked, the official added.
On August 29, the Supreme Court confirmed the death penalty awarded to the LeT operative by the trial court and later upheld by the Bombay High Court.
A Bench of Justices Aftab Alam and C K Prasad dismissed the 25-year-old`s plea challenging his conviction and death sentence in the 26/11 case.
Kasab and nine other Pakistani terrorists had landed in south Mumbai on November 26, 2008 after traveling from Karachi by sea and had gone on a shooting spree at various landmarks, killing 166 people, including foreigners.
While Kasab was captured alive, the other terrorists were killed by security forces.
The SC also upheld the acquittal of two Indians who were alleged to be co-conspirators in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH