Kasab`s lawyer pulled up in 26/11 case for misconduct
Mumbai: The lawyer for Pakistani gunman Ajmal
Kasab was on Thursday slapped with a notice by the Mumbai attack
trial court to explain why his services should not be
terminated for "misconduct" on a day when the prosecution was
due to wind up its case.
The action came after Kasab`s lawyer Abbas Kazmi told the
court that he did not care about affidavits of witnesses filed
by the prosecution inviting the ire of the judge who called
his remarks "irresponsible". Kazmi was appointed by the court.
Kazmi made the statement after Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam
informed Judge M L Tahaliyani that he desired to file 340
affidavits of formal witnesses and that copies of 233 such
documents have already been served on the defence lawyer.
When the judge asked Kazmi whether he wanted to cross
examine any of these witnesses, including victims` families,
doctors, fire brigade personnel and claimants of bodies, the
defence lawyer said he would declare his strategy after
prosecutor Nikam files these affidavits in the court.
Nikam said he had informed the court in his opening
address on May 8 that he would be filing such affidavits.
However, Kazmi said Nikam had not made such disclosure in
his opening address, prompting the judge to say that he
(Kazmi) was telling lies.
"This is a serious matter and you are telling lies. I now
have to consider whether to continue you as a defence lawyer.
You have been appointed by the court to defend the accused and
it is your duty to cooperate in the interest of justice",
judge Tahaliyani observed.
A visibly angry Nikam told reporters, "We were to wind up
our case today after examining 271 witnesses. The last witness
was to step in the box today, but defence lawyer`s stand has
delayed this." The trial commenced on May 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday