Kaziranga has highest density of tiger population in world
Guwahati: Kaziranga National Park (KNP) in
Assam has the highest density of tigers in the world with 32
tigers per 100 sq km, according to a study.
Releasing the study report, Forest and Environment
Minister Rockybul Hussain said, "KNP has the highest density
of tigers compared to any tiger habitats in the world...It is
a matter of pride for us that when in the rest of the country
tiger population has gone down with only 1,411 of the species
left, Kaziranga National Park has also recorded highest number
of individual tigers as well."
The survey, conducted by the state forest department in
collaboration with prominent environmental NGO `Aaranyak` by
using `camera trap` method of tiger estimation, covered an
area of 144 sq km of the central and western part of the park.
As many as 38 individual tigers -- 20 females, 15 males
and three whose sex is yet to be determined, were photographed
in the study area during the 50-day photo-trapping exercise
carried between January and March 2009 .
All tigers, however, are unlikely to be photo-trapped in
the study area and using the scientific method called `capture
recapture`, as many as 47 tigers were estimated in the study
area, Hussain said.
Cubs below one year of age were eliminated in density
The previously highest recorded density of tiger in a
wildlife park was 19.6 tigers per 100 sq km recorded in the
Corbett Tiger Reserve.
The minister further said that the report has been
submitted to the Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh who
expressed happiness that a hope has been rekindled for the
protection of the tiger which is fast disappearing from its
range states throughout the world.
"It has also thrown up an opportunity to carry out an
extensive tiger monitoring study covering the entire area of
Kaziranga National Park," Hussain added.
This positive development has been possible due to the
untiring efforts of the front-life staff who have worked under
difficult conditions with limited facilities, he said.
The study team comprised members of Aaranyak under the
supervision of Bibhab Talukdar with Park staff coordinated
by Director S N Buragohain.
Biologist Firoz Ahmed, who led the team in the field,
pointed out the latest study confirms that Kaziranga`s
alluvial grassland provides optimal habitats for tigers.
One of the key reasons for high tiger density in
Kaziranga is abundance of prey animals including hog deer,
sambar, swamp deer, Wild Boar, Hog badger, porcupine, wild
buffalo, rhino and elephant, he said.
The study, which will continue this year, would next
estimate prey density while continuing to monitor tiger
population and sample eastern range of the Park to understand
pattern of tiger density.
The study was sponsored by UK`s David Shepherd Wildlife
Foundation and Rufford Small Grants Foundation, besides
National Tiger Conservation Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department