Kerry expresses sympathy with victims of Hyd blasts
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday made his maiden tweet to express sympathies with the people of Hyderabad, the venue of twin blasts that killed nearly a dozen people.
"Saw friend/Foreign Secretary Mathai- discussed importance of relationship w/ #India, expressed sympathies to brave people of #Hyderabad -JK," Kerry said in his first tweet in his capacity as the top American diplomat.
Kerry used the usual State Department Twitter handle but signed it off with his initial JK (meaning John Kerry), which State Department officials said means was his "personal tweet".
In his tweet, Kerry described the visiting Indian Foreign Secretary, Ranjan Mathai as his "friend".
In fact, he gave up the traditional protocol to meet the visiting Indian diplomat reflecting on the significance he attaches to the India-US relationship.
However, the details of his meetings were not immediately available.
Kerry in his tweet said that he discussed importance of relationship with India with Mathai.
Mathai is on a three-day US visit to hold talks with his American counterparts on bilateral and regional issues.
Earlier, the US strongly condemned the terrorist bombings and offered assistance in investigation if requested by the Indian Government.
"We condemn the cowardly attack in Hyderabad, India, in the strongest possible terms, and we extend our deepest sympathies to those affected and to the people of India," the State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, told reporters at her daily news conference.
"As you know, Secretary Kerry will have a chance to see Indian Foreign Secretary Mathai later this afternoon, and he will convey our sympathies in person and affirm our support for India during this difficult time," she said.
The United States stands with India in combating the scourge of terrorism, and also prepared to offer any and all assistance that Indian authorities may need, Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you