Krishna leaves for West Bank
Jerusalem: External Affairs Minister SM
Krishna Wednesday left for Ramallah to meet top Palestinian Authority leadership during which he is expected to reaffirm
India`s strong support to the Palestinian cause.
Krishna is driving down to Ramallah in West Bank from
here through the Beitunya check-point.
He is expected to meet top Palestinian leadership today
including Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and
Prime Minister Salam Fayyad in what is the first visit by an
Indian Foreign Minister in over a decade.
Krishna is also expected to hold bilateral talks with his
Palestinian counterpart Riyad al-Malki and will also attend a
wreath laying ceremony on the Mausoleum of Yasser Arafat.
Sources said the External Affairs Minister is expected to
reiterate India`s strong support to the Palestinian cause.
Incidentally, India was the first non-Arab country to
recognise the statehood of Palestine in 1988 when it was
The Minister`s visit comes close on the heels of Jordan
playing host to Israeli and Palestinian negotiators on January
3, the first in more than a year.
Even though India has supported Palestine on a number of
international forums, its friendship with Israel has also
"Our relationship with country does not affect our ties
with the others. We have stated position on international
issues," a diplomatic source said.
After spending a substantial part of the day in West
Bank, Krishna will drive back to Amman and leave for India. He
will also stop in Dubai on the way back and meet with his UAE
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Kaka called up for Brazil's Centenary Copa America squad
- I see every day as a new day: Virat Kohli on his dream run
- Facebook's new ad cookies targets everyone!
- After its cheapest ride offer, Ola now launches luxury rides
- Narsingh Yadav selection over Sushil Kumar for 2016 Rio Olympics was fair: WFI tells HC