Last batch of devout leaves from IGIA for Haj
New Delhi: Over 20,000 pilgrims headed for the annual Haj pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia flew out of Indira Gandhi International airport here this year, with the last batch leaving for Medina on Thursday.
Since the first batch of around 900 pilgrims departed from the airport on September 9, a total of 20,700 pilgrims, mostly from Delhi and adjoining areas, have boarded planes for Saudi Arabia, an IGIA official said.
Saudi Arabian Airlines was the designated carrier for Haj and it operated a total of 52 flights with Boeing 747, Boeing 767 and Airbus 330 type aircraft.
Airport operator Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) had made arrangements in Terminal 2 for the pilgrims with eight immigration, 20 check-in and eight foreign exchange counters.
DIAL had also made special arrangements for the pilgrims to offer prayers and provided basic medical support for the Hajjis both inside and outside the terminal building.
"We have left no stone unturned in providing support (for the hajjis) as they embark on this journey. DIAL has always taken special care of the Hajjis for whom this is a once-in-a -lifetime journey," said DIAL CEO, I Prabhakar Rao.
DIAL has been working in close coordination with the Haj Committee, the Delhi Government, Customs, Immigration, CISF, Delhi Police, Saudi Arabian Airlines and Bureau of Civil Aviation Security to ensure a seamless journey for the devout, he added.
The pilgrims would start returning to Delhi from October 21 through till November 5.
Saudi Arabian Airlines would be operating 52 flights from Medina for the return leg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo