Late for flight, techie makes hoax call
New Delhi: A hoax call allegedly made by a
young software engineer getting late for his flight created
panic at the airport in New Delhi on Sunday, delaying the take-off of a
Bangalore-bound Go Air plane with 164 people on board.
Abhishek Gupta (25), a software professional with
Infosys, was arrested for allegedly making the call claiming
that a bomb has been planted in the flight and there was
suspicious activity around the aircraft, sources said.
"He was coming from Lucknow in a train and it got
delayed. He called the Go Air`s Commercial Manager in Mumbai
prior to the departure of the flight. Upon his arrival at the
airport, he was arrested," a senior police official said.
Soon after the airline got the call, Go Air spokesperson
said, they informed Bureau of Civil Aviation Security and
passengers and luggage were immediately offloaded.
"The aircraft was thoroughly checked and no suspicious
articles were found," the police official said.
The arrest came following the airline providing the voice
sample of the caller.
"It was confirmed that the call was made by a passenger
who was late for his flight," the official said.
The flight with 158 passengers and six crew members on
board was scheduled to take-of from Delhi airport at 8:45 am
when the call was received. The flight took off for Bangalore
after a delay of over two hours.
A case has been registered against Gupta under sections
182 (giving false information to a public servant), 505
(circulation of false statement or rumour) and 342 (wrongfully
confining any person).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’