Lawyers boycott meeting with Aus delegation
Ahmedabad: Ahmedabad Bar Association (ABA)
today boycotted meeting with an Australian delegation in
protest against racial attacks on Indians in that country.
The Australian delegation, comprising five federal judges
and two academicians, was supposed to have an interactive
session with law fraternity here as part of Indo-Australian
judicial exchange programme.
"When Indians are being beaten up and killed in Australia
everyday and yet nobody has been convicted in any of the
cases, why have they (Australian delegation) come here to
observe our judicial system," ABA vice-president Parag Gandhi
"They should first go and improve their judicial system
and then come here," Gandhi said.
"We boycotted the meeting and interaction with them as a
sign of protest," he added.
Judges of Federal Court of Australia Justices Annabelle
Bennet, Bruce Lander, Andrew Greenwood, Judge Flower of Family
Court, Judge Reg Blanch of district court and academicians
Prof Adriene Stone of Melbourne University and Hannah
Clau-Saunders were part of the delegation.
The delegation is supposed to be visiting local courts
and participate in workshops at various places in India.
Indo-Australian Exchange Programme is an initiative by
National Judicial Academy and the Australia Federal Court on
"Protecting Rights and Improving Access to Justice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand