Lawyers boycott meeting with Aus delegation
Ahmedabad: Ahmedabad Bar Association (ABA)
today boycotted meeting with an Australian delegation in
protest against racial attacks on Indians in that country.
The Australian delegation, comprising five federal judges
and two academicians, was supposed to have an interactive
session with law fraternity here as part of Indo-Australian
judicial exchange programme.
"When Indians are being beaten up and killed in Australia
everyday and yet nobody has been convicted in any of the
cases, why have they (Australian delegation) come here to
observe our judicial system," ABA vice-president Parag Gandhi
"They should first go and improve their judicial system
and then come here," Gandhi said.
"We boycotted the meeting and interaction with them as a
sign of protest," he added.
Judges of Federal Court of Australia Justices Annabelle
Bennet, Bruce Lander, Andrew Greenwood, Judge Flower of Family
Court, Judge Reg Blanch of district court and academicians
Prof Adriene Stone of Melbourne University and Hannah
Clau-Saunders were part of the delegation.
The delegation is supposed to be visiting local courts
and participate in workshops at various places in India.
Indo-Australian Exchange Programme is an initiative by
National Judicial Academy and the Australia Federal Court on
"Protecting Rights and Improving Access to Justice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested