Left intellectual questions ‘consensus’ on Pranab
Kolkata: Questioning the Congress` clarion call seeking support for its Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, leading Left intellectual Ashok Mitra on Wednesday took potshots at the Finance Minister, stating he had failed to control inflation.
"The Congress is requesting everybody to support Pranab Mukherjee. They are giving a call for a consensus candidate. Just imagine how the economic and financial policies of Mukherjee and this government is inflicting heavy burden on the common man," said Mitra, a former finance minister of West Bengal.
"They have failed to control inflation and decreasing economic growth irrespective of several assurances by Mukherjee."
He also slammed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for talking about "ethics" in Indian politics over the issue of Presidential poll.
"She is talking about ethics on Facebook. She is talking about unethical practices in the Presidential election. But she has no right to talk about it as she herself on numerous occasions has flip-flopped on her statements. She says something in the morning and the exactly opposite thing in the evening," said Mitra.
Last week, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh and Banerjee had virtually rejected Mukherjee`s candidature, after his name was suggested by Congress president Sonia Gandhi for the presidency during her talks with the Trinamool Congress chief.
The two parties named former president APJ Kalam, former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as their three preferred candidates for president.
However, Banerjee was later left red-faced after Yadav did a u-turn and said his party would support Mukherjee.
Banerjee remained firm on her stand and started a Facebook campaign to back Kalam. But she suffered another setback when Kalam withdrew from the race on Monday.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor