Left parties condemn attack on Prashant Bhushan
New Delhi: Left parties on Wednesday strongly
condemned the attack on anti-corruption campaigner Prashant
Bhushan and demanded stringent action against the culprits.
"This physical attack on Bhushan is reprehensible and
should be strongly condemned. Those who conducted this attack
cannot, by these means, suppress the right of anyone to
express their opinion. Strong action should be taken against
the culprits," CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat said.
Maintaining that it was an attack on freedom of expression
and on Indian democracy, CPI National Secretary D Raja said,
"A few people cannot be allowed to take law into their hands
through hooliganism and rowdyism. Stringent action should be
taken against them."
Also condemning the attack on Bhushan inside his chambers,
the CPI(ML) Liberation said the pretext was that Bhushan had
"publicly spoken for the rights of Kashmiri people and had
advocated a referendum in Kashmir."
"This attack constitutes part of the Sangh Parivar`s
agenda to intimidate those defending democracy and people`s
rights and resisting jingoism and communal fascism," the party
It has exposed "the real fascist face of the Sangh Parivar
at a time when Advani is on rath yatra claiming to champion
the JP movement`s democratic legacy and fight against
corruption", the CPI(ML) said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!