Lessons learnt from Army Chief`s age row: Antony
New Delhi: Lessons have been learnt from the experience in the age row involving General VK Singh but there was no strain in relations between the government and the Army over the issue, Defence Minister AK Antony said on Friday.
The minister also stressed that the country cannot afford to have such controversies in the future and already steps have been taken to avoid them.
"We have learnt lessons from it...there is no strain...now what we are going to do hereafter in all armed forces as a whole is that we will ask everybody to strictly reconcile different documents so that this kind of conflict of views does not happen in future," he said here.
The minister was asked if there was any strain in the ties between the Defence Ministry and the Army after the developments in the Supreme Court where Gen Singh withdrew his petition against the government on the age issue.
"This is a closed chapter now. This happened unfortunately due to two dates of birth in the Army...India cannot afford to have such controversies in the future,"
The Defence Minister said the issue was a "closed chapter". It should not be raked up again, he said.
Recently, the Defence Minister had said that he had full faith in the Army Chief.
The Supreme Court had held on February 10 that the government`s decision on Singh`s date of birth as May 10, 1950, will apply to his service matters, forcing him to withdraw his plea contending that he was born a year later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy