Lok Sabha mid-term polls by March next: Subramanian Swamy
Coimbatore: There is all possibility of mid-term elections to the Lok Sabha by February-March next and the ruling Congress dispensation would lose badly, Janata Party national president Subramanian Swamy claimed on Tuesday.
Considering the present situation, there would be mid-term polls to the Lok Sabha in February or March next, he said while briefing reporters on the deliberations of the party`s TamilNadu State General Council meeting, here.
Dealing with rampant corruption and tackling internal and external terrorism would be the major planks during the election campaign of the party, which has recently joined BJP-led NDA, he said.
Asked about the possibility of emergence of a Third front, particularly by allies from UPA, Swamy said, it was not practical at this juncture.
To a question on the remarks of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to bring a no-trust motion against UPA government and UPA ally DMK saying it would back any opposition-sponsored resolution in Parliament against allowing FDI in multi-brand retail, Swamy said, "This is the most hopeless Government. It must go as early as possible."
FDI in retail would seriously affect the livelihood of crores of small traders as they would not be able to compete with foreigners, he said.
However, Swamy said, he was not aware about the note prepared by NDA on FDI, as claimed by Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma, since he was not part of the alliance at that time.
Swamy also said Government owed an explanation on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s allegation about details of expenditure incurred for Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s foreign travels.
Modi had yesterday alleged that according to a media report, Rs 1,880 crore were spent on travel and treatment of Gandhi. However, the Gujarat Chief Minister had offered to tender a public apology hours after making the allegation if his charge was found to be false.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth