Lok Sabha speaker asks Anna to end fast
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Thursday appealed to civil society activist Anna Hazare to end his fast and assured him that the government would make a strict law to check corruption in the country.
Summing up the debate on corruption, Meira Kumar said: "The house appeals to Anna Hazareji to end his fast as his life is precious to country.”
He has raised an important issue, the house has discussed it and will discuss it in future also, said Kumar.
She said the government would take steps to come out with a strict law to check corruption.
Replying to the debate on corruption, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also appealed to the 74-year-old leader to end his fast.
Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj said that appeal should go from the house to Anna Hazare to end his fast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre