Lok Sabha speaker asks Anna to end fast
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Thursday appealed to civil society activist Anna Hazare to end his fast and assured him that the government would make a strict law to check corruption in the country.
Summing up the debate on corruption, Meira Kumar said: "The house appeals to Anna Hazareji to end his fast as his life is precious to country.”
He has raised an important issue, the house has discussed it and will discuss it in future also, said Kumar.
She said the government would take steps to come out with a strict law to check corruption.
Replying to the debate on corruption, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also appealed to the 74-year-old leader to end his fast.
Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj said that appeal should go from the house to Anna Hazare to end his fast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa