LS votes out Left’s amendment on price rise
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha, via a division of vote, rejected an amendment moved by the CPI over the wording of the motion on price rise. The Left wanted to highlight "government`s failure" to curb food inflation.
The amendment was rejected as 320 votes came in against it, while only 57 members voted in favour of it. There were a total of 371 votes.
CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta had moved an amendment to the motion. He wanted to insert words, "and government`s failure to curb food price inflation", to be added to the motion which expresses "deep concern" over price rise and calls upon the government to take immediate effective steps to check inflation that will give relief to common man.
CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharia had also given notice to move an amendment to the motion but he was not in the House when Speaker Meira Kumar called him to move the amendment.
Today, after it became clear that the BJP is not with it on the issue, the Left staged a walkout.
They alleged that the Congress and the BJP are hand-in-glove on the issue of price rise.
Earlier in the week, faced with a delicate situation after the opposition stalled Parliament for two days, government had arrived at a compromise with the Opposition to take up the discussion on price rise under a rule which entails voting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you