Madhuri Gupta spy case: Court seeks reply on status of info
New Delhi: A Delhi Court hearing the former
diplomat Madhuri Gupta spying case on Wednesday wanted to know from
the investigators whether some of the contents of the report
of the Indian High Commission allegedly passed on by her to
Pakistan`s ISI falls in the category of classified or public
The court asked the Delhi Police to answer the question
relating to the status of the contents of the weekly
assessment of a particular period relating to developments in
Pakistan by the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
The report on the assessment of the developments in
Pakistan for a particular week was allegedly disclosed by
Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan told Additional Sessions
Judge Pawan Kumar Jain that the assessment comes under the
category of official secret as it dealt with the defence
matter of India and sought more time to argue on the matter.
Gupta`s counsel Joginder Dhaiya, on the other hand,
contended the report contained matter which was already widely
reported and published by the Pakistani media and was in
He also said the contents of the report, even if
considered to be official secret, dealt with the defence
matters of Pakistan and not India.
The matter will come up for further arguments on
Meanwhile, Gupta moved an application for release of
personal search articles seized during her arrest.
Gupta, 53, posted as Second Secretary (Press and
Information) at Indian High Commission in Islamabad, was
arrested on April 22 last year by the Special Cell of Delhi
police for passing on sensitive information pertaining to
defence to Pakistan`s ISI.
She has been charged with breach of trust, criminal
conspiracy and various other provisions of the Official
It was alleged that Gupta revealed certain classified
information to Pakistani officials and was in touch with two
ISI officials, Mubshar Raza Rana and Jamshed.
The charge sheet, filed in July last year, said Gupta had
an affair with Pakistani Jamshed whom she planned to marry.
She used to communicate with Jamshed who had a code name
The diplomat was using a computer installed at her
residence in Islamabad and a Blackberry phone to be in touch
with the two Pakistani spies, it said.
She had also visited Jammu and Kashmir in March last year
on the instructions of Rana to procure the Annual Plan Report
of the state. Rana also wanted information on the proposed 310
MW hydro-electric power project to be set up in the state by
2020, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?