Maharashtra ATS probing IM-underworld nexus
Mumbai: Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad
(ATS), which arrested Pune blast prime suspect Abdul Samad
Bhatkal, is probing the possible nexus between underworld and
terror outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM) in the case.
Though Abdul, an alleged IM member, is the prime suspect
in the Pune blast case, the ATS on Monday has booked and
arrested him in a 2009 illegal firearms case in which three
aides of fugitive gangster Chhota Shakeel, a close aide of
underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, were already arrested.
Abdul was remanded in police custody till June one in the
firearms case, in which the ATS had arrested three Shakeel`s
men -- Haji Imran, Suleiman Mehmood and Afzal Shaikh -- on
August 5, 2009.
"Abdul was suspected to have engineered the blast. At the
same time, he was also wanted in the firearms case and hence
he was arrested in this case...," said an ATS official on
condition of anonymity.
"In the firearms case, it is clearly established that
Abdul had underworld links since he had supplied arms to three
Chhota Shakeel`s men. Now the question before us is whether
the underworld has any links in the Pune blast...," the
"We would show Abdul under arrest at appropriate time in
the Pune blast case," the official said.
Ever since the blast at German Bakery in Pune that killed
17 persons on February 13, ATS has strongly suspected that it
was handiwork of the IM following which it worked in that
direction to connect the missing dots, officials said.
Police have also claimed that Abdul had exchanged 15
telephone calls with his aides a week before the blast but
after that he did not use phone.
The officials had yesterday also claimed that Abdul was
seen near the eatery a fortnight before the explosion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest