Maid harassment under workplace exploitation law now
New Delhi, July 03: With reports of a number of
incidents of sexual harassment of domestic helps in the
country, the government today said it will bring such cases
within the scope of a proposed law to prevent exploitation of
women at workplaces.
Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath,
replying to supplementaries in the Lok Sabha, said the
legislation will also include Dalit women, who are brought
from rural areas to work as domestic helps in the cities.
Noting that there were reports of incidents of sexual
harassment and mental torture of domestic helps, Tirath said
such trends would be contained and action taken against the
culprits whenever such reports were received.
She said as per a Supreme Court order, the government
intended to constitute Local Complaint Committees at district
and block level under the proposed bill to deal with such
The proposed legislation would cover women working in
both organised and unorganised sectors, she added.
A number of cases of sexual exploitation of domestic
helps have come to light in the country recently, the most
high-profile being the case of Bollywood actor Shiney Ahuja
who has been accused of raping his maid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today