Makers of Jaipur Foot now developing artificial hand
Hyderabad: The makers of the famous Jaipur Foot are now in the process of developing an artificial hand.
The prototype of an artificial hand being developed by Stanford University in association with Bhagwan Mahavir Vikalang Sahayata Samiti(BMVSS), the largest organisation in the world for the handicapped in terms of fitment of artificial limb, callipers etc, should be available over the next few months, founder and chief patron of BMVSS, D R Mehta told reporters here.
"The prototype has been developed by Stanford University, US which is working with BMVSS. They are further improving on it. It is a prototype of the artificial hand below elbow and can perform any function of the hand. The final version should be available in the next few months," Mehta, former chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India, said.
He was speaking on the sidelines of the launch of `iDiya Bootcamp`, a competition for working professionals interested in setting up ventures that could make social impact, at the Indian School of Business here.
"It is a joint venture between Stanford and BMVSS which came about during one of my visits to the university," Mehta said, adding the artificial hand being developed may cost about USD 20 (or about Rs 1,000).
Delivering his keynote address, he exhorted the professionals and students of ISB to also do something for the society.
Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal, who was also a keynote speaker, delivered a pep talk for the students and working professionals.
The Jaipur Foot is a rubber-based prosthetic leg for people with below-knee amputations, developed under the guidance of Dr P K Sethi by Masterji Ram Chander in 1969. It is said to be nearest to a normal human foot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi