Malegaon blast: Col Purohit may face court martial
New Delhi: Malegaon blast accused Lt Col
Prasad Srikant Purohit is likely to face court martial that
could lead to his dismissal from service with an Army probe
recommending disciplinary action against him.
The Army headquarters has received a report of the Court
of Inquiry which went into Purohit`s alleged role in the
September 2008 Malegaon blast that claimed six lives, Army
sources said today
The CoI has recommended disciplinary action against him,
they said. This is likely to lead to his court martial and
possibly dismissal subsequently.
"The recommendations of the inquiry are being considered
by the Adjutant General branch for deciding the course of
action to be initiated against Col Purohit," they said.
Purohit, who was arrested by the Anti-Terror Squad of the
Mumbai Police, is currently imprisoned in Nasik in connection
with the Malegaon blast.
The Army officer, who was in the military intelligence,
was arrested by the ATS in November 2008 on suspicion of
masterminding the Malegaon blast along with other accused
Sadhvi Prayag Thakur and four others.
Purohit is the first serving Indian Army officer accused
of playing a major role in planning and executing a terror
blast. He was posted at Panchmarhi where he was studying
Chinese at a military training institute when his arrest took
The ATS had also arrested retired Army officer Major
Ramesh Upadhyay, who along with Thakur, was said to be a
member of the Abhinav Bharat, a Hindu outfit.
Purohit had come in contact with Upadhyay when he was
posted at Nashik in the Army`s liaison unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre