Mamata, Cabinet minister not of constituency or state: CPI(M)
New Delhi: Targeting Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee for skipping the Cabinet meeting on Jharkhand on Tuesday,
CPI(M) said she was a minister of the entire country and not
of any particular constituency or state.
"Being a Cabinet Minister, you are concerned with India
as a whole and you are not concerned only with your state or
constituency which you come from. To say that Jharkhand is a
small issue is very very insulting and belittling," CPI(M)
Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said.
His comments came in the backdrop of Banerjee skipping
the Cabinet meeting which was called to discuss about
recommending President`s Rule in Jharkhand.
She remarked she did not attend the meeting as it was
"only for Jharkhand... a very simple meeting and I was
doing some serious job here".
Yechury said a Cabinet minister should attend such
meetings unless there are very "exceptional" circumstances and
otherwise it did not augur well. "The Cabinet functions on
collective responsibility and it for all members on all
issues," he said.
Banerjee also said there are no differences between her
Trinamool Congress and Congress party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day