`Mamata has insulted people by not attending Basu`s funeral`
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee has "insulted" the people of West Bengal by not
attending the funeral of Marxist stalwart Jyoti Basu, CPI(M)
leader Sitaram Yechury said on Thursday.
"By not attending (the funeral) and justifying her
absence, she has insulted the people of Bengal who turned out
in lakhs. Now they will have to decide," he told reporters
when asked to comment on the Railway Minister`s absence at the
funeral on Tuesday.
He said despite serious political differences, it was a
culture not only in India but abroad also that "you be present
on such occasions. It is also elementary human decency and a
matter of courtesy and political morality".
Yechury said the fact that so many people turned out in
such large numbers reflected the popularity of the great
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- PM Modi gifts Iran's Supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei reproduction of rare Quran manuscript
- Left Front to hit the streets against post-poll violence
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi