`Mamata has insulted people by not attending Basu`s funeral`
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee has "insulted" the people of West Bengal by not
attending the funeral of Marxist stalwart Jyoti Basu, CPI(M)
leader Sitaram Yechury said on Thursday.
"By not attending (the funeral) and justifying her
absence, she has insulted the people of Bengal who turned out
in lakhs. Now they will have to decide," he told reporters
when asked to comment on the Railway Minister`s absence at the
funeral on Tuesday.
He said despite serious political differences, it was a
culture not only in India but abroad also that "you be present
on such occasions. It is also elementary human decency and a
matter of courtesy and political morality".
Yechury said the fact that so many people turned out in
such large numbers reflected the popularity of the great
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!