`Mamata has insulted people by not attending Basu`s funeral`
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee has "insulted" the people of West Bengal by not
attending the funeral of Marxist stalwart Jyoti Basu, CPI(M)
leader Sitaram Yechury said on Thursday.
"By not attending (the funeral) and justifying her
absence, she has insulted the people of Bengal who turned out
in lakhs. Now they will have to decide," he told reporters
when asked to comment on the Railway Minister`s absence at the
funeral on Tuesday.
He said despite serious political differences, it was a
culture not only in India but abroad also that "you be present
on such occasions. It is also elementary human decency and a
matter of courtesy and political morality".
Yechury said the fact that so many people turned out in
such large numbers reflected the popularity of the great
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon