`Mamata has insulted people by not attending Basu`s funeral`
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee has "insulted" the people of West Bengal by not
attending the funeral of Marxist stalwart Jyoti Basu, CPI(M)
leader Sitaram Yechury said on Thursday.
"By not attending (the funeral) and justifying her
absence, she has insulted the people of Bengal who turned out
in lakhs. Now they will have to decide," he told reporters
when asked to comment on the Railway Minister`s absence at the
funeral on Tuesday.
He said despite serious political differences, it was a
culture not only in India but abroad also that "you be present
on such occasions. It is also elementary human decency and a
matter of courtesy and political morality".
Yechury said the fact that so many people turned out in
such large numbers reflected the popularity of the great
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery