Mamata knew about rail fare hike, hints Trivedi
New Delhi: Indicating that Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee knew about proposals in the rail budget presented by him, former Railways Minister Dinesh
Trivedi on Tuesday said his sacking was a "foregone conclusion" and the fare hike was not the reason behind it.
Without taking any name, he said a bureaucrat close to Banerjee was in the know of things and he had "every reason to believe that my leader (Mamata Banerjee) knew" and said a senior journalist had commented on March 8 itself that Trivedi
would be removed from office after the rail budget.
"Without naming anybody, a bureaucrat close to my leader was absolutely in the know of things and he told me that if I don`t do this (fare hike), railways will collapse... the reason for which I talked to him was to inform the leader," Trivedi said.
He said he had "no reason to believe that the bureaucrat would not communicate (to Banerjee)".
The former Railways Minister said "very strangely" a senior journalist on the day of Holi on March 8 said Trivedi would not be Railways Minister after the rail budget.
"I have every reason to believe that my sacking has nothing to do with fare hike or budget. It was a foregone conclusion. It doesn`t matter whatever budget I would have had presented, I would have been gone," he said.
Trivedi was Railways Minister for eight months but had to go after angering his party supremo Mamata Banerjee by raising the fare in the rail budget.
Mamata had asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to replace Trivedi by her trusted aide Mukul Roy. Trivedi resigned on Sunday and Roy was sworn in as
Railway Minister today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?