Mamata to support govt on Lankan Tamils issue
Kolkata: UPA`s estranged ally Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Wednesday sprang a surprise by promising to support the Centre on whatever stand it took on Sri Lankan Tamils issue at the UNHRC.
"Our party supports the cause of the Tamil brothers and sisters. We are deeply concerned about the atrocities meted out to a section of Tamil population in a foreign country," Banerjee wrote in a Facebook post.
"We are always with our Tamil brothers. We appreciate their concerns. This is the local sentiment. We appreciate their sentiment also," Banerjee said.
"At the same time, on issue of external affairs or foreign policy our party never interferes whatever it (India) thinks fit for the interest of the country. We leave it to the central government to decide on the issue," Banerjee said.
She said, "A government at the Centre may go and another government may come, but foreign policy is made keeping in mind the interest of the country.
"However, the concerns of the state and the sentiments of the people must be kept in view by the Centre, before taking any decision pertaining to foreign country," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani