Manali-Leh highway partially reopened
Manali: The strategic national highway that connects this town in Himachal Pradesh to Leh in Jammu and Kashmir has been partially reopened after it was shut due to landslides at various points last week, an official said Tuesday.
"The traffic on the entire 475-km stretch between Manali and Leh couldn`t be restored as work is still on to clear the debris," S K Doon of the General Reserve Engineering Force, a wing of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said.
Doon, however, said 222-km stretch between Manali and Sarchu has been made motorable. "Now the work is on to reopen the stretch between Sarchu and Leh," he added.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Monday directed the BRO to clear the Manali-Leh highway within three days.
The NH-21 is one of the two road links between Leh and other parts of the country and its closure is hampering relief operations in flood-hit areas.
A cloudburst occurred at Choglamsar village, which is situated above Leh town Friday, causing flash floods and mudslides that washed away government offices, paramilitary camps and residential homes.
The toll in the devastating flash floods has risen to 165. As many as 81 foreign tourists were rescued by the Indian Air Force from Zanskar Valley of Ladakh region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla