Mandela a symbol of fight against injustice, discrimination: BJP
New Delhi: BJP leaders on Friday paid tributes to South African leader Nelson Mandela, saying the world has lost an apostle of peace and non-violence who inspired people across the world to stand against injustice and discrimination.
"RIP Nelson Mandela. The world has lost an apostle of peace & non-violence who redefined the journey of his nation for the good of humankind," BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi said on Twitter.
Party President Rajnath Singh condoled Mandela`s death.
"He was an inspiring hero who fought against discrimination and injustice to people all his life. Mandela believed in Gandhian methods and philosophy. He became an iconic figure who gave up his own freedom to ensure freedom for his people," he said.
The BJP leader said Mandela was one of the greatest leaders of modern history who inspired people around the world with his struggle for dignity and honour to human beings.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said he was deeply saddened by the news of Mandela`s demise.
"Also known as the `Father of the Nation`, he led the movement that successfully abolished apartheid from South Africa. As President of South Africa, he fought against poverty and HIV/AIDS," Jaitley said, adding that Mandela led the world to follow a path of non-discrimination.
His Lok Sabha counterpart Sushma Swaraj said Mandela was a "monument of struggle against injustice". "Many of us are not fortunate to see Gandhi ji alive. We are blessed to see the life of Nelson Mandela, who embodied his values & ideals.
"My heartfelt condolences to Nelson Mandela`s family & the people of South Africa. We stand by them in this hour of grief," Modi said in his tweets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon