Maneka criticises PM’s statement on Anna’s arrest
New Delhi: BJP MP Maneka Gandhi today criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s statement over Anna Hazare’s arrest and said she does not believe that the standing committee on Lokpal would incorporate the Gandhian`s views on it.
A day after her son and BJP MP Varun Gandhi said he plans to introduce Hazare’s version of Lokpal Bill as a private member`s bill in Parliament, Maneka alleged the Government was trying to brand the Gandhian as a ‘traitor.’
"The Prime Minister has said Anna Hazare could have appeared before the standing committee and given his point of view. But the Jan Lokpal Committee, in which Hazare and his team members are members, did not incorporate any of their inputs.
"Therefore, there is no reason to believe that the Government would incorporate their inputs and change the Government`s version of the bill," Maneka told reporters outside Parliament House.
She alleged the Government was trying to bring a ‘weak’ Lokpal.
The former Union Minister also slammed the Government for denying Hazare and his supporters their democratic rights to stage a peaceful protest.
"In a democracy, he has every right to protest. He is not threatening Government. He was simply sitting on a hunger strike. If the Prime Minister concedes that he has the right to protest, then conditions cannot be laid," she said.
"To treat electors so shamefully does not speak well for our democracy," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi