Maneka criticises PM’s statement on Anna’s arrest
New Delhi: BJP MP Maneka Gandhi today criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s statement over Anna Hazare’s arrest and said she does not believe that the standing committee on Lokpal would incorporate the Gandhian`s views on it.
A day after her son and BJP MP Varun Gandhi said he plans to introduce Hazare’s version of Lokpal Bill as a private member`s bill in Parliament, Maneka alleged the Government was trying to brand the Gandhian as a ‘traitor.’
"The Prime Minister has said Anna Hazare could have appeared before the standing committee and given his point of view. But the Jan Lokpal Committee, in which Hazare and his team members are members, did not incorporate any of their inputs.
"Therefore, there is no reason to believe that the Government would incorporate their inputs and change the Government`s version of the bill," Maneka told reporters outside Parliament House.
She alleged the Government was trying to bring a ‘weak’ Lokpal.
The former Union Minister also slammed the Government for denying Hazare and his supporters their democratic rights to stage a peaceful protest.
"In a democracy, he has every right to protest. He is not threatening Government. He was simply sitting on a hunger strike. If the Prime Minister concedes that he has the right to protest, then conditions cannot be laid," she said.
"To treat electors so shamefully does not speak well for our democracy," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today